This Document Is For HP Printers And Windows Computers.
Set up your HP printer for a USB cable connection to a Windows computer. To get the most supported features from a USB connected printer, install the full feature HP driver.
Step 1: Prepare for the printer setup
Check requirements and delete any previous installed printer versions from Windows to prepare for the USB connection setup and driver installation.
- Confirm the following requirements and items before you begin:
- The printer is turned on and in a ready state.
- Obtain a USB cable less than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length.
- There is an available USB port on your computer: If you connect through a USB hub or docking station, the printer might not receive enough power to properly operate.
- If you connected the USB cable to the computer before installing the HP driver, continue with these steps to remove the printer from the installed devices to help ensure a successful setup. Otherwise skip to the next step to install the driver.
- Disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer. Do not reconnect the cable until prompted during the driver installation step.
- Search Windows for ‘devices‘, and then click the Devices and Printers control panel setting in the results.
- Right-click the icon for your printer model, and then click Remove device. If multiple icons exist for the printer, remove them all.
Close the Devices and Printers window, and then continue to the next step.
Step 2: Install the driver and set up the connection
Download and install the best available print driver to complete the USB connection.
- Go to www.hp-file.net enter your printer model, and then follow the onscreen instructions to download your driver. Depending on your printer model, the guided driver installation app HP Easy Start might download.
- If a driver or HP Easy Start downloads, follow the on-screen instructions to open the download file to start the setup. When prompted to choose a connection type, select USB. You do not need to complete the remaining steps in this section if the setup is successful.
- If the download fails or your printer is not listed on www.hp-file.net, continue with these steps to install a driver from the HP website.
- Go to www.hp-file.net Software and Driver Downloads, enter your printer model, if prompted, and then confirm the operating system version is correct.
- If a Let’s identify your product to get started page displays, click Printer, type your printer model number, and then click Submit.The software results page for your printer displays with the default operating system selected.
- If you need to change the operating system, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.
- Under the Driver heading, click Download for the full software package, or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
- When prompted by the installer to choose a printer connection option, select USB to continue with and complete the setup.
- Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on your printer functionality.